Date Founded: April 4, 1986 (25 Years ago)
Location: University of Iowa – Iowa City, Iowa
Colors: Purple and White
Number of Chapters: 107
Number of Colonies: 20
Number of Alumni Associations: 17
Flower: Red Carnation
Motto: “Opportunity for Wisdom, Wisdom for Culture”
Nickname: Lambda Betas (Betas)
Official Publication: El Iluminador
Mascot: White Stallion Mustang
Philanthropies: Sigma Lambda Beta Education Foundation, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Latino Vote USA, The Bro. Victor Correa CPR Awareness Day, & Hero Street U.S.A.
Principles: Brotherhood, Scholarship, Community Service, & Cultural Awareness
- In 1991, SLB became the first Latino-based fraternity to be established at a historically black university, Prairie View A&M University.
- In 1992, SLB spans “coast to coast” with the establishment of SUNY-Stony Brook (Pi chapter) and California State University-Dominguez Hills (Tau Chapter).
- In 1992, SLB joined the North-American Interfraternity Conference, a national umbrella association of collegiate men’s fraternities.
- In 1996, SLB became a founding member of the Concilio Nacional de Hermandades Latinas, the first national umbrella council for Latino Greek Lettered Organizations (1996–2000).
- In 2000, SLB became a founding member of the Latino Fraternal Council, a national umbrella council composed by five of the largest Latino fraternities in the country (2000-2001).
- In 2004, SLB joined the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (2004–2010).
- In 2010, SLB was established at Huston-Tillotson University in Texas, making it the first entity of SLB at a private historically black university.